Perform many different kinds of welding and cutting using gas and electric welding and cutting equipment to fabricate steel.
Required Job Functions and Qualifications
- Maintain good attendance and reliability.
- Certified in FCAW in the 2G and 1G positions, in unlimited thickness.
- Certified in GMAW in the 2G and 1G positions, in unlimited thickness.
- Certified to tack weld in all positions in FCAW and GMAW processes.
- Accurately read weld symbols and check weld size using weld fillet gauges.
- Properly operate air arc to remove steel (back-gouging).
- Some understanding of AWS joint designations.
- Consistently produces visually acceptable tack welds.
- Is completely familiar with the AWS visual acceptance criteria for welds and consistently produces visually acceptable welds.
- Proper understanding of all welding parameters of the WPS.
- Properly set welding machines according to WPS parameters.
- Properly follow WPS as it applies to volts, amps & wire feed speed, etc.
- Properly preheat material to required temperature using temperature sticks and heating torch/cutting torch per preheat & interpass temperature tables.
- Use natural gas tube heaters to preheat steel if needed.
- Use air chipper to chip and completely remove weld slag.
- Completely remove all weld spatter.
- Grind with 90° angle grinder.
- Meet requirement of the Primary Functions of Class “C” welder with greater efficiency.
- Perform routine maintenance checks and routine maintenance
- Have an “ear” for potential welding machine problems by being able to describe and diagnose the current machine issue.
- Be aware and responsible of surrounding environment and safety orientated with this environment.
- Maintain clean machine, and good housekeeping, keeping area neat and orderly at all times.
- Operate pendant or remote controlled bridge crane safely and efficiently.
- Be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs over shoulder height frequently.
- Be able to speak and understand enough English to accurately follow basic instructions.
- Accurately and properly clock in and out on all different jobs and all shop orders worked on.
- Work required hours to help meet production schedule and satisfy the needs of internal customers.
- Properly operate stud welding machine.
- Heat, straighten and be able to know where to use preheat to offset distortion.
- Properly operate cutting torch, making cuts that are straight, square and true, and free of slag.
- Consistently burn visually acceptable block outs, with little or no grinding.
- Use magnetic drill, reamer, and portable punches for making holes.
- Performs all work in the fastest and most efficient ways possible.
- Assure quantity and quality of work before sending to next operation.
- Have knowledge of the tools, machines, equipment, and materials used in a steel fabricating shop.
- Perform other duties as required by management.